Spanish mackerel with tomato, prawn & pea stew
- Heat a thin layer of oil in a large heavy-bottomed pan and seal the seasoned mackerel on both sides. Remove.
- Add a little fresh oil to the pan, if needed, and gently sauté the onion and garlic until tender, stirring and scraping the bottom as you do so.
- Then add the tomatoes with about
- 1 cup stock, the chilli flakes and a good amount of seasonings. Stir and cook for about 5 mins until thickish, adding more stock as needed.
- Return the fish to the pan, in one layer, cover and cook for about 7-8 mins.
- Then place the prawns on top of each cutlet and cook to warm. Remove.
- Add the peas and mint to the sauce with a little more stock. Stir well and taste for seasoning.
- Place a cutlet with prawns on top in individual flat soup bowls. Spoon the sauce over and around and serve with good crusty bread on the side.
- olive oil
- 4 mackerel cutlets
- sea salt & freshly ground pepper
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken or fish stock
- a pinch of dried chilli flakes
- 12-16 cooked prawns, shelled &
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 2 tbsp shredded fresh mint
Huey's Kitchen takes a lot of care in the preparation of its recipes, but viewers are reminded to always double check that the recipe and all the ingredients are suitable.