New York meatball sandwich
- Preheat oven to 200°C fan forced (220°C normal).
- To make the tomato sauce, heat a little oil in a heavy-bottomed pot and gently sauté 2 chopped onions and 4 crushed garlic cloves until tender, stirring now and again.
- Add the tomatoes, soy, 1/2 tbsp chilli paste, the stock and seasonings. Stir well and cook until thick and fragrant, adding more stock if needed. Taste for seasoning and set aside.
- Then heat a little oil in a heavy-bottomed pot and gently sauté the remaining onion and garlic until tender, stirring now and again.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl and combine with the minced beef, remaining chilli paste, the parsley, chutney, paprika and seasonings, adding more chutney if too dry.
- Then form 300 gm of the meatball mixture into large balls (or patties) and cook in the oven for about 15 mins.
- Cut the baguette in half and toast or grill. Then smear the bases with mustard and top with pickles.
- Toss the meatballs with the sauce and briefly cook to warm. Then place on top of the pickles and press the tops of baguettes down.
- nb. Freeze leftover sauce and meatball mixture for another day.
- (from “Huey’s Bloody Good Recipes” by Iain Hewitson)
- olive oil
- 3 large onions, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed
- 6 cans diced tomatoes
- a few slurps of soy sauce
- 1 tbsp chilli paste
- ½ litre chicken or vegetable stock
- sea salt & freshly ground pepper
- 600 gm minced beef
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 2-3 tbsp tomato chutney
- ½ tbsp paprika
- 1 large French baguette, cut into 4 crossways
- Dijon mustard
- cucumber or dill pickles, sliced
Huey's Kitchen takes a lot of care in the preparation of its recipes, but viewers are reminded to always double check that the recipe and all the ingredients are suitable.