Rishta-Bi (Lentils with pasta & caramelised onions)
- Heat a little oil in a heavy-bottomed pan and gently cook the onions until caramelised, starting with the lid on, regularly stirring.
- Rinse the lentils and then cook them in a pot of simmering water until just tender.
- When the lentils are almost ready, crush the pasta with your hands and add to the pot. Cook until al dente and drain well.
- Then toss the onions with the lentil mixture, parsley, salt, pepper and a good slurp of oil. Taste for seasoning.
- Serve at room temperature, warm or hot with your favourite meat dish.
- from Claudia Roden, guru of Middle Eastern cooking
- olive oil
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 100 gm green or brown lentils
- 100 gm egg tagliatelle or fettuccine
- 2-3 tbsp chopped Italian (flat leaf) parsley
- sea salt & freshly ground pepper
Huey's Kitchen takes a lot of care in the preparation of its recipes, but viewers are reminded to always double check that the recipe and all the ingredients are suitable.