Knackwurst with a lentil & cabbage stew
- Cook the dried lentils in plenty of salted water for 20-25 mins until tender. Then run under cold water, drain well and puree one-third of the lentils.
- In another pot, blanch the sausages in simmering water until they float to the top. Drain well and, when ready, cook on a lightly oiled ridged grill (or BBQ).
- While blanching the sausages, put the butter, onion, leek, zucchini and carrot in a heavy-bottomed pot. Mix well and gently sauté until tender.
- Add the cabbage and briefly cook, tossing to wilt.
- Then add the wine and stock. Mix well and cook down a bit.
- Add the whole and pureed lentils, together with the red wine vinegar, mustard, seasonings and parsley. Turn the heat down, stir and gently cook for 5-10 mins. Taste for seasoning.
- Serve the sausages with the lentil stew on the side and an extra dollop of mustard, if you like.
- 300 gm dried green lentils
- sea salt & freshly ground pepper
- 8 knackwurst sausages
- olive oil spray
- 50 gm butter
- ½ medium onion, finely chopped
- ½ small leek, diced
- 50 gm zucchini, diced
- ½ medium carrot, diced
- 200 gm Savoy cabbage, finely sliced
- 80 ml dry white wine
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 tspn red wine vinegar
- 2 heaped tspn Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
Huey's Kitchen takes a lot of care in the preparation of its recipes, but viewers are reminded to always double check that the recipe and all the ingredients are suitable.