Cheese gratineed French onion soup
- Heat 4 tbsp oil in a heavy-bottomed pot and gently cook the onions for about 45 mins until they turn dark brown, regularly stirring and scraping the bottom of the pot as you do so - beginning on high and turning the heat down as they caramelise.
- Then add the flour and gently cook for a few minutes, continually stirring.
- Turn the heat up and add the white wine, beef stock and seasonings. Stir and bring to the boil. Then turn the heat down and rapidly simmer for about 30 mins. Taste for seasoning.
- Cut the bread into large croutons and panfry in a layer of hot oil until golden. Then drain well on kitchen paper towels.
- Preheat the overhead grill to the highest degree.
- Put a splash of brandy in the base of individual bowls, ladle in the soup and top with a few croutons. Scatter with plenty of tasty cheese and a little parmesan, and grill until golden and bubbling.
- olive oil
- 1 kg brown onions, finely sliced
- 2 heaped tbsp plain flour
- 250 ml dry white wine
- 1.5 litres low-salt beef stock
- sea salt & freshly ground pepper
- 3-4 slices day old white sandwich bread, crusts removed
- grated tasty cheese
- freshly grated parmesan
Huey's Kitchen takes a lot of care in the preparation of its recipes, but viewers are reminded to always double check that the recipe and all the ingredients are suitable.