- Cut off the roots of the kangkung, rinse well and then pluck off the leaves with some of the stalk. Set aside.
- Then pound the shallots, chillies, candlenuts, sugar, salt and shrimp paste using a mortar and pestle (or in a food processor) until well combined.
- Heat a little oil in a wok (or large non-stick pan) and saute the spice mixture until toasted.
- Then add the kangkung with a little water or stock. Stir, cover and cook for about 2-3 mins until leaves are tender.
- Serve as an accompaniment.
- 1 kg kangkung (morning glory)
- 10 shallots, finely chopped
- 2-3 small red chillies, finely chopped
- 3-4 candlenuts, finely chopped
- 1-2 good pinches sugar
- a good pinch of sea salt
- ½ tspn shrimp paste
- vegetable oil
- water or vegie stock
Huey's Kitchen takes a lot of care in the preparation of its recipes, but viewers are reminded to always double check that the recipe and all the ingredients are suitable.