Salad Of Puy lentils with beetroot, avocado & Persian feta
- Preheat oven to 180°C fan forced (200°C normal).
- Rub the beetroot with oil and cook in the oven for about 30 mins until tender. When cool enough to handle, peel, cube and set aside.
- Then heat a little oil in a heavy-bottomed pot and gently saute the capsicum, celery, red onion and leek until tender.
- Add the lentils, bay leaves, garlic and thyme. Toss to coat well. Then add about 2 cups stock with seasonings and rapidly simmer for about 15-20 mins, until the lentils are tender, adding more stock if needed.
- When ready, squeeze lemon juice over the avocadoes and slice.
- To serve, layer the lentils, avocado, beetroot and basil on individual plates. Sprinkle with a little oil and balsamic, and top with feta.
- nb. This dish can be served, hot, warm or cold - my preference is warm.
- 1-2 beetroots
- olive oil
- 1 large red capsicum, finely diced
- 2 celery stalks, finely diced
- 1 red onion, finely diced
- 1 leek, white part only, finely diced
- 200 gm Puy lentils
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 2-3 cups vegetable stock
- sea salt & freshly ground pepper
- ½ lemon
- 2 avocadoes, peeled & cut in half
- 12 fresh basil leaves, torn
- balsamic vinegar
- cubed Persian feta
Huey's Kitchen takes a lot of care in the preparation of its recipes, but viewers are reminded to always double check that the recipe and all the ingredients are suitable.